Welcome back to the weekly appointment with American politics, society, amusement and rot by yours truly. This time in English, for my non-Italian geeks. Hope you like it.
- Hillary Clinton’s national lead is slipping faster in 2016 than it did in 2008 (Washington Post). One reason here: Hillary never expected “Sanders to become so popular with young people and independents, especially women.” (NY Times) Another good news is, “43 percent of likely [Iowa] Democratic caucus participants describe themselves as socialists.” (Via @CoreyRobin)
- Clinton is then reacting in the only way she knows: taking her war on Sanders on a new level (one of her top surrogates asked for the medical record of Sanders) and calling for new sanctions on Iran, on the very day they’re being lifted.
- By the way – remember? The Patron Saint of Republicans illegally armed Iran back in the 1980s —but conservatives are apoplectic about Obama’s Iran Deal. Go figure.
- A couple of oldies but goldies: From her $10.5 million apt, Chelsea Clinton says: “I was curious if I could care about (money)…and I couldn’t.” (NY Daily News)
- “No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.” That one time in 1996 Hillary Clinton evoked racist “super predator” panic to push harsher drug laws. (Via@adamjohnsonNYC)
- In the meantime, New Yorkers are not amused by Ted Cruz’s comments about “New York values” during Thursday night’s Republican presidential debate, and here’s the Daily News response. The GOP field looks terribly desolating: Trump, not surprisingly, comes off is an insult genius if compared to this mummy.
- A surreal ending: Polish Priests Blessing Things. (Via DougHenwood)
- One for the headline hall of fame: Slash recalls finding mom naked with David Bowie.